Thursday, August 8, 2013

Tutorial Thursdays - WEEK 1

So, I got a novel idea today. There are all these great tutorials that people do - I want to know what you guys are working on. As a fairly new face to the sewing/quilting game, I realize that I might be recreating the wheel here. There are tons of compilation blogs of tutorials (i.e. Moda Bake Shop, etc.), but I want to see your work.

Here is my promise: every week (after this one - because, of course, I only thought of this after Thursday started!) I'll post a linkup that starts at 12:00 am CST, and ends at 11:55 pm CST.

The only rules are: you must comment on the few links before your own, and to have fun. Of course, copyright stuff should be honored and credit should be given where they're due.

Here's what you can post: If you have your own tutorial that you made for your readers, you can post it in my weekly link-up: Tutorial Thursdays. If you are working on someone else's tutorial, you can link up a post on your progress. Just be sure to give the original author of the tutorial credit!

So, to kick things off: I'll post a link to a tutorial that I'm working on - I don't think that I'm skilled enough to create my own tutorial yet.
This is Anchors Aweigh by Tula Pink. I am creating it for my little brother who is about to end his time in the US Coast Guard.  I talked about in a previous post that I got my hands on a few of his old uniforms, and I'll be incorporating those into the quilt.  The anchor will be shades of blue...
 Squares
Here are the squares... ALL of the squares.  The darkest blue (fabric B) squares are cut from his uniforms.

Since his uniforms have all these embellishments:
I really want to incorporate those as well..  Please leave me any suggestions you have for incorporating those in the comments below.  I have about 5 uniform shirts which have all of the above embellishments.
 
Lastly, since it's to honor military service, I plan to use red and white solids as the negative space fabrics.  

Honestly, after it's done, I might just keep it for myself.  ;-) Or make another in Tula Pink's fabrics that it was designed for!  I just need to get my hands on them. 

Thanks for reading!  
Cassie

Okay, so here's my favorite part: show me what you're working on!!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a great idea. It will be a special quilt. The linky is a good idea too but I think you would get better response if you leave it open for 3 - 6 days. I just read about it and it is already closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yeah... that is good idea! I'll do that next time.

      Delete
    2. I did extend the date until tomorrow night - hope you can share. Thanks for the advice, again :)

      Delete